Historic Country Inn
Kingsbrae Arms Inn Built in 1897
St. Andrews blossomed as a summer colony seaside resort town when the Canadian Pacific Railroad laid a branch line from Montreal making it accessible to wealthy urban families at the turn of the century. “Cottages” of staggering proportions, meant to be occupied for a mere three months of the year, were the anchors of the social season. One of these cottages was Kingsbrae Arms, built in 1897. Back then urgent gossip speculated whether Ellin would marry Irving Berlin (she did); or if Marguerite had danced with H.R.H. The Prince of Wales (ditto). Meanwhile Franklin & Eleanor were not far away on their Campobello estate. This is all part of the historic backdrop to this quiet inn.
In 1897, a prominent Nova Scotia businessman built Kingsbrae Arms as a summer “cottage” for his family. He and his wife had lived for many years in Shanghai where he owned a fleet of cargo boats loading and unloading trade from foreign ships. His daughter, Florence, created a salon for artists, poets, writers, and statesmen during her summers in residence and was herself, well versed in Chinese art and culture. Through the years, this gracious “cottage” has hosted a number of prominent guests from around the world including all the Premiers of Canada.